prof. RNDr. Radek ZBOŘIL, Ph.D.
Palacký University in Olomouc, CATRIN-RCPTM, Czech Republic, EU
(*1973), After finishing the Ph.D. study (2000), he underwent several short-term stays e.g. at University of Delaware and University of Tokyo. From 2010, he is a professor at the Palacky University Olomouc and the general director of the Regional Centre of Advanced Technologies and Materials, RCPTM (www.rcptm.com), in Olomouc, Czech Republic (EU). He is a member of the Learned Society of the Czech Republic (http://www.learned.cz/en/) and an active member of the board of the Technology Agency of the Czech Republic. In 2011, he was awarded by the Czech Republic’s Minister of Education for extraordinary results achieved in the field of research, experimental development and innovations. Professor Zboril is the principal investigator of more than 30 national and international grant projects with the total support over 73 mil. EUR for the Palacky University. He is also a general chairman of the international conference NANOCON (www.nanocon.eu) and a member of the scientific board for chemistry in the Neuron endowment fund (http://www.nfneuron.cz/en/). Prof. Zbořil is the director of Competence Centre of the Technology Agency of the Czech Republic (www.nanobiowat.com).
Professor Zboril is an author and co-author of more than 472 papers with the total impact factor over 2791. He is the corresponding author of many ACS journals, e.g., Chemical Reviews (IF=52.613), Accounts of Chemical Research (IF=20.955), ACS Nano (IF=13.709), Journal of the American Chemical Society (IF=14.357), Chemistry of Materials (IF=9.890). He is also the first and/or corresponding author of other top journals in the field of materials science and nanotechnologies including Chemical Society Reviews (IF=40.182), Advanced Materials (IF=21.950), Nano Today (IF=17.753), Advanced Functional Materials (IF=13.325), Angewandte Chemie (IF=12.102), Biotechnology Advances (IF=11.452), Biomaterials (IF=8.806), Small (IF=9.598), Green Chemistry (IF=8.586). Prof. Zboril is also a co-author of more than 20 proceedings and book chapters published by, e.g., American Chemical Society, Wiley or American Institute of Physics. He is a member of the editorial board of Applied Materials Today (Elsevier), scientific Reports (Nature family), ChemPlusChem (Wiley).
His publications have received over 19 600 citations (in 2016: more than 3 000 citations/year; TOP 3 most cited Czech scientists in 2018). H-index=61. 33 publications with more than 100 citations. (Scopus, October 8, 2018)
Specialization: Nanomaterials research – iron, iron oxide, noble metal and carbon-based (graphene derivatives, carbon dots) nanostructures, magnetic nanoparticles, hybrid systems. Their advanced nano-architecture and applications in water treatment, energy materials, antimicrobial technologies, catalysis, biosensing, medicine (MRI, drug delivery) and biotechnologies.
Last plenary talk: 8th edition of the largest European Conference & Exhibition in Graphene and 2D Materials (GRAPHENE 2018), Dresden, Germany, June 26.-29. 2018.
Collaboration: Prof. Zboril collaborates with more than 20 top world laboratories, e.g., Cornell University, U.S.A. (prof. E. Giannelis), Pohang University, South Korea (prof. K.S. Kim), City University of Hong Kong (prof. A. Rogach), EPFL Lausanne, Switzerland (prof. Gratzel, prof. Sivula), Aarhus University, Denmark (prof. F. Besenbacher, prof. M. Dong), University of Tokyo, Japan (prof. S. Ohkoshi), Bar-Illan University, Israel (prof. A. Gedanken), US EPA (prof. R. Varma), Texas A&M University (prof. V.K. Sharma), University of Erlangen-Nürnberg (prof. Schmuki)
Professor Zboril is a co-author of several European and US patents. Among others, he has a principal contribution to the development of large-scale technology for the production of zero-valent iron nanoparticles (European patent No. 2164656), which are currently commonly applied in environmentally friendly technologies of ground water treatment (www.nanoiron.cz/en).
- A. Panacek, L. Kvitek, M. Smekalova, R. Vecerová, M. Kolar, M. Röderova, F. Dycka, M. Sebela, R. Prucek, O. Tomanec, R. Zboril: Bacterial resistance to silver nanoparticles and how to overcome it, NATURE NANOTECHNOLOGY, vol. 13, iss. 1, pp. 65–71, 2018.
- J. Tucek, P. Błoński, J. Ugolotti, A. K. Swain, T. Enoki, R. Zboril: Emerging chemical strategies for imprinting magnetism in graphene and related 2D materials for spintronic and biomedical applications, CHEMICAL SOCIETY REVIEWS vol. 47, iss. 11, pp. 3899-3990, 2018.
- D. Li, P. Jing, L. Sun, Y. An, X. Shan, X. Lu, D. Zhou, D. Han, D. Shen, Y. Zhai, S. Qu, R. Zbořil, A. L. Rogach: Near-Infrared Excitation/Emission and Multi-Photon-Induced Fluorescence of Carbon Dots, ADVANCED MATERIALS, vol. 30, iss. 13, no. 1705913, 2018.
- K. Jayaramulu, D. P. Dubal, B. Nagar, V. Ranc, O. Tomanec, M. Petr, K. K. R. Datta, R. Zboril, P. Gómez-Romero, R. A. Fischer: Ultrathin Hierarchical Porous Carbon Nanosheets for High-Performance Supercapacitors and Redox Electrolyte Energy Storage, ADVANCED MATERIALS, vol. 30, iss. 15, no. 1705789, 2018.
- J. Tucek, P. Błoński, O. Malina, M. Pumera, C. K. Chua, M. Otyepka, and R. Zboril: Morphology-Dependent Magnetism in Nanographene: Beyond Nanoribbons, ADVANCED FUNCTIONAL MATERIALS, vol. 28, iss. 22, p. 1800592, 2018.
- J. Tucek, K. Hola, A. B. Bourlinos, P. Blonski, A. Bakandritsos, J. Ugolotti, M. Dubecky, F. Karlicky, V. Ranc, K. Cepe, M. Otyepka, R. Zboril: Room temperature organic magnets derived from sp3 functionalized graphene, NATURE COMMUNICATIONS vol. 8, pp. 14525, 2017.
- P. Blonski, J. Tucek, Z. Sofer, V. Mazanek, M. Petr, M. Pumera, M. Otyepka, R. Zboril: Doping with Graphitic Nitrogen Triggers Ferromagnetism in Graphene, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, vol. 139, iss. 8, pp. 3171–3180, 2017.
- S. Kalytchuk, K. Polakova, Y. Wang, J. P. Froning, K. Cepe, A. L. Rogach, R. Zboril: Carbon Dot Nanothermometry: Intracellular Photoluminescence Lifetime Thermal Sensing, ACS NANO, vol. 11, iss. 2, pp. 1432–1442, 2017.
- J. Tucek, Z. Sofer, D. Bousa, M. Pumera, K. Hola, A. Mala, K. Polakova, M. Havrdova, K. Cepe, O. Tomanec, R. Zboril: Air-stable superparamagnetic metal nanoparticles entrapped in graphene oxide matrix, NATURE COMMUNICATIONS vol. 7, pp. 12879, 2016.
- K. Jayaramulu, K.K.R. Datta, C. Rosler, M. Petr, M. Otyepka, R. Zboril, R.A. Fischer: Biomimetic Superhydrophobic/Superoleophilic Highly Fluorinated Graphene Oxide and ZIF-8 Composites for Oil–Water Separation, ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE INTERNATIONAL EDITION, vol. 55, iss. 3, pp. 1178-1182, 2016.
- V. Georgakilas, M. Otyepka, A.B. Bourlinos, V. Chandra, N. Kim, C.K. Kemp, P. Hobza, R. Zboril, K.S. Kim: Functionalization of Graphene: Covalent and Non-Covalent Approaches, Derivatives and Applications, CHEMICAL REVIEWS, vol. 112, iss. 11, pp. 6156-6214, 2012.
- K. Sivula, R. Zboril, F. Le Formal, R. Robert, A. Weidenkaff, J. Tucek, J. Frydrych, M. Graetzel: Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting with Mesoporous Hematite Prepared by a Solution-Based Colloidal Approach, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, vol. 132, iss. 21, pp. 7436-7444, 2010.
- M. Hermanek, R. Zboril, I. Medrik, J. Pechousek, C. Gregor: Catalytic efficiency of iron(III) oxides in decomposition of hydrogen peroxide: Competition between the surface area and crystallinity of nanoparticles, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, vol. 129, iss. 35, pp. 10929-10936, 2007.
- R. Zboril, F. Karlicky, A. B. Bourlinos, T. A. Steriotis, A. K. Stubos, V. Georgakilas, K. Safarova, D. Jancik, C. Trapalis, and M. Otyepka: Graphene Fluoride: A Stable Stoichiometric Graphene Derivative and its Chemical Conversion to Graphene, SMALL, vol. 6, iss. 24, pp. 2885-2891, 2010.
- V. Georgakilas, J. A. Perman, J. Tucek, and R. Zboril: Broad Family of Carbon Nanoallotropes: Classification, Chemistry, and Applications of Fullerenes, Carbon Dots, Nanotubes, Graphene, Nanodiamonds, and Combined Superstructures, CHEMICAL REVIEWS, vol. 115, iss.11, pp 4744–4822, 2015.